Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Thanks, and Fair Warning

Thanks -- Many thanks to all who have inquired about the extended absence. It seems that my body just wanted to send me a note that I am not as young as I like to think I feel sometimes, and that perhaps I need to start acting my age. It was quite scary for a few hours, but within a day all seemed nearly normal.

And fair warning -- After a brief hospital stay (including an $18,000 6-hour ER visit -- still wonder why we need universal single payer health care insurance?), and some extended time getting my energy back, I am now approaching 100%. So, I expect to be back here publishing knee-jerk cranky observations with regularity within a week or so. I am very pleased to report that there are no apparent residual effects and my doctors deny that I was even a candidate for this little event.

And the good news -- Baseball is back!

In the meantime -- One of my convalescent readings was a collection of English-language poems. This one, by Sigfried Sassoon struck my fancy around the time that the Despicable Cretin's death toll approached 4,000:

I KNEW a simple soldier boy
Who grinned at life in empty joy,
Slept soundly through the lonesome dark,
And whistled early with the lark.

In winter trenches, cowed and glum,
With crumps and lice and lack of rum,
He put a bullet through his brain.
No one spoke of him again. . . . .

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when soldier lads march by,
Sneak home and pray you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.

(More war poems by Sasson here)

8 comments:

Gort said...

Quit your malingering and get your ass in gear:)

We have the most important Dem primary since 1976 and a bunch of Congressional races that we need you need to slice and dice. Including a couple of millionaires trying to buy the seat in the 10th.

All kidding aside. Welcome back my friend and I wish you good health.

A Big Fat Slob said...

Thanks, Gort.

Unfortunately, the only way the PA primary makes a difference is if Obama wins -- according to Rassmussen, he has pulled within ten, which with three weeks to go, gives him plenty of opportunity.

Wren said...

Welcome, welcome, welcome back, Slobby dear! Glad you're recovered and well, and glad you're still around to to give us hell. I've missed your sharpeyed, grumpy observations on all things Pennsylvania and all things, period. I'm smilin' again.

Not Your Mama said...

Welcome back! Looking forward to your takes on the upcoming PA primary.

JudiPhilly said...

I'm finally catching up on my reading & see that you decided to take a break the hard way.

Hope all is well health-wise, so you can slobber over the political doings in the great Northeast and the state.

Based upon the latest polls, looks like Obama may be closing in on the Hill, so it's time to come on back.

PridePress said...

Hope you are still coming along well. Miss ya here.

Anonymous said...

You know, you could just take a holiday without putting us through the suspense.
Get up, drink a beer and remember Obama needs you more than the doctor. And with your health it seems as if you need Obama as well.
Welcome back dude. ;)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to battle fatigue. My hopes are PA helps wrap this thing up.