Over at DKos, worth the time is emptywheel's reaction to the CQ interview, which reveals that the incoming Democratic head of the House Intelligence Committee comes up empty on some basic information about the politics of the Middle East -- such as whether Al Qaeda is Shia or Sunni. Emptywheel devised a test for lawmakers, sort of the grown-up equivalent of a high school current events quiz.
Here's a tasting:
1. The terrorist group Al Qaeda is overwhelmingly made up of what kind of Muslims?
d. Nation of Islam
* * *
4. Which of the following leaders was elected in an election deemed to be fair by outside observers?
a. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia
b. King Abdullah of Jordan
c. Hugo Chavez of Venezuela
d. Ilham Aliyev of Azerbaijan
5. Which option correctly shows the US share of world population and its share of world oil use?
a. 5% of the world population, 25% of world oil use
b. 16% of the world population, 16% of world oil use
c. 25% of the world population, 25% of world oil use
d. 3% of the world population, 6% of world oil use
6. How much of Mexico's GDP in 2005 came from remittances, money sent back to Mexico from migrant workers in other countries (primarily the United States)?a. $21.8 million
b. $879.6 million
c. $1.7 billion
d. $21.8 billion
7. How many new jobs have been created by NAFTA?
b. none -- the US has effectively LOST 1,000,000 jobs due to NAFTA
c. none -- the US has not lost or gained any jobs due to NAFTA
11. In which of these countries was al-Queda not operating as of September 11, 2001?For the rest, as well as the answers, you'll have to go read the whole thing.
- Which of the following did the September 14, 2001, Authorization for the Use of Force resolution specifically provide for?
a. Domestic surveillance of telephone conversations.
b. Extraordinary rendition of suspected terrorists.
c. Suspension of the writ of habeas corpus.
d. None of the above.