It is interesting that the President's 2001 State of the Union address appears to have been scrubbed from WhiteHouse.gov. The address, given on February 27, 2001, does not show up, even in a date-only search. Fortunately, it is available at multifarious places on the internets.
And, it is loaded with such gems, ironic and sad, that I thought it worth a look back at those good old days, you know, when Bush and Cheney and Rice were busy ignoring reports that bin Laden Determined to Strike in US.
Some highlights from 2001's
lies address to an Innocent Nation:
- "I want to thank so many of you who have accepted my invitation to come to the White House to discuss important issues. We're off to a good start. I will continue to meet with you and ask for your input."
- "Together, we are changing the tone in the Nation's Capital. And this spirit of respect and cooperation is vital, because, in the end, we will be judged not only by what we say or how we say it, we will be judged by what we're able to accomplish."
- "One would have warning signs: increasing layoffs, rising energy prices, too many failing schools, persistent poverty, the stubborn vestiges of racism. Another picture would be full of blessings: a balanced budget, big surpluses, a military that is second to none, a country at peace with its neighbors, technology that is revolutionizing the world, and our greatest strength -- concerned citizens who care for our country and care for each other. Neither picture is complete in and of itself. And tonight I challenge and invite Congress to work with me to use the resources of one picture to repaint the other; to direct the advantages of our time to solve the problems of our people."
- "Education is not my top priority -- education is my top priority . . . ."
- "We owe it to our children and grandchildren to act now, and I hope you will join me to pay down $2 trillion in debt during the next 10 years. (Applause.) At the end of those 10 years, we will have paid down all the debt that is available to retire. (Applause.) That is more debt, repaid more quickly than has ever been repaid by any nation at any time in history. (Applause.)"
- "America has a window of opportunity to extend and secure our present peace by promoting a distinctly American internationalism. We will work with our allies and friends to be a force for good and a champion of freedom."
- We can make Americans proud of their government.
The saddest part about this is that I don't even need to offer commentary to drive home just how duplicitous and incompetent is this nasty, festering, puss of a man. All I need is to quote the crap dribbling out of his mouth.
(Photo Credit: Freeway Blogger)